Don't wait in line this holiday season. Make your own!
From the Kitchen of Home of Cooks
Time to Prepare: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Serving: 1
Ingredients For the mint syrup:
· 1.5 cups water · 1 cup sugar · 1 bunch fresh mint leaves or
one teaspoon peppermint extract
For the mocha: · ¾ cups of milk · one finger (24.8g) of sweet chocolate dulce (I like Goya brand for hot chocolate) or one unsweetened baking bar For the topping: · Whipped cream · One crushed candy cane or chocolate shavings Don’t forget the coffee:
· ½ cup or 6 oz. of strongly brewed coffee or espresso
To make the mint syrup:
If you are using store bought peppermint syrup, you can skip this step! Bring the water to a low boil. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the mint or peppermint extract (or a mix of both), cover and steep for 10 minutes (heat on low). Remove from heat. You can store the unused portion in the refrigerator or freeze it for future peppermint mochas.
To make the mocha:
Combine milk and crushed chocolate. Heat (either in the microwave or stove top) until the chocolate is melted. Use a jar to shake until frothy. (Use a towel over the lid to prevent burning yourself). You can also use a handheld frother.
Assembly: Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the syrup into your mug. Brew 6oz or ½ cup of coffee directly on top of the syrup. Pour the mocha mixture over the coffee and top with crushed candy canes or garnish of your choice.
· If you don’t feel like making the syrup, use one tablespoon of store-bought peppermint syrup.
·The amount of sugar used is for the entire batch of syrup, but you will only be using 2-3 tablespoons of it in your coffee. Refrigerate the rest of the syrup and use it for future peppermint mocha mornings!
· One finger of sweet chocolate dolce is equivalent to breaking a piece (24.8g) off the entire bar. It is indented where you should break off the chocolate. Use the rest of the bar for future hot chocolate!
· If you're vegan, you can use coconut milk as an alternative to cow's milk. If you do not like the taste of coconut, you can use almond milk.
· If you want the latte to be healthier, use unsweetened cocoa with unsweetened almond milk or fat-free milk. You can also use Splenda instead of garnishes.
Download and print our recipe below!